Sunday, January 30, 2011

QUESTIONS

How does an old fashion girl like me deal with modern life and all the questions raised by the misery and struggles that are going on in this world.  Pictures of the mass uprising in Egypt are revealing that people have had enough abuse and they blame those in leadership.We see in our own country that is a democracy the abuse of power and how rules can be made to harm the innocent more than protect the criminals.

This leads me to question the leaders of our churches.  Can we trust them?  Are they helping us find our way through the roughness of the spiritual journey?  Am I encouraged to prayerfully continue to ask questions that are thrown in front of me like huge boulders.

Can I trust the sacred book called the Holy Bible?  Can I trust those who have written it with certain intentions and beliefs?  Christianity is extremely diverse and many have fled from religion because of false teachings which have angered and caused them pain and find faith to be illogical or unchartiable. Doubting Thomas is a part of our human nature.  I have been one of those who was content to believe all the Bible as literally true and inerrant. 

Others are searching for the true words of Jesus and I am afraid that some of this is more ego driven by the intellect than a search for the mystical truth that has the power to transform and heal and give our lives meaning.  Who was the historical Jesus?  Why do the gospels seem to give us different views of him.  I think that what we do in the end is lose his message and just become confused.  I can find myself trapped as I wrestle between heart and mind.

I want to believe in a genuinely real Jesus who as a man experienced opposition and criticism and misunderstandings even among his own chosen disciples.  Somehow I want to rediscover the hidden meanings which I think can be strengthened by our modern knowledge about psychology, anthropology and science.  Is this mission impossible.  How far do I have to move from literal truth to face discrepancies and still have a strong faith?  I firmly believe that life without spiritual meaning is empty and meaningless.

We all love our families and try to be good people working through life's disappointments and frustrations.
My family challenges me to be more questioning and that is good.

I believe that there is a basketful full of hope that holds promises of deeper faith as I try to be what God would have me be, which is the best me living in the skin of being fully human.

No comments: