Thursday, January 13, 2011

HONESTY

Honesty can hurt and like the brightness of the sun there is more comfort in the shade of conformity.

The Bible is very honest in telling the whole and ugly truth about the characters inside it's story.  Listening to their stories helps me to listen to where others are coming from.  I want to defend the Bible because it reveals that the search for God is not an easy task; and even if we heard His voice give us direction it would be hard for us to follow it.  I know I do not take criticism well of myself, of anyone in my family, and especially my faith.

So like the rest of humanity I want to present myself in the best light and cover up my mistakes.  Jesus said I am the Light and I see more and more how much I need the light of truth to penetrate my defenses.  Jesus calls us to be authentic not artificial like the Pharisee who paraded their goodness but lacked humility and honesty. 

The prophets had tried to call the people away from sinful, selfish, greedy and judgemental living.  You are worshipping false gods and your future looks dark.  It is hard for us to realize that small sins corrupt us just as much as the big ones.

How fragile we All are.  I have felt the love of God and I see His light in the face of Jesus.  Jesus, who is a very human Jesus, who asked questions in the Temple, lost his temper at the corruption of the money lenders and grieved when his friends deserted him and misunderstood him.

I love to watch my great grandchildren take their mommies face in their hands and turn their eyes to them so they have to be heard and seen and listened to.  This is what Jesus came to do.  One by one he comes to us and by his words speaks to the child within us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder why it is so much easier to tell white lies? Why no one wants to hear the truth, or thinks people are mean when they speak it? Besides, the truth is so relative, my truth may not be your truth so why be upset when someone else voices theirs?
Sandra

beth bennett said...

I am learning not too. or trying.

love mom