Sunday, January 23, 2011

SPIRITUAL BATTLES

As I read once again "The Case for God" I am informed that the philosopher, againest all depressing evidence to the sontrary, trusted that the cosmos was indeed rational and that as he continued to learn and study he would be able to achieve a sense of peace and intellectual enlightenment.  "Philosophia was a yearning for transcendent wisdom, and it had a healthy respect for the limitations of logos [the word] and held the highest wisdom was rooted in unknowing.  Socrates confronted others with their lack of self-knowledge.  Plato regarded philosophy as an apprenticeship for death.  To practice it was to prepare for death which we will all face.

Honesty should be rewarded.  One of the faults of the church may be that we take time to confess our sins but really feel pretty darn good about ourselves.  We are not forced to look deep into our personalities, like those who attend A.A. because we feel that we can manage life pretty well on our own.

But for those of us who have experience the pain of regret for foolish mistakes and the guilt of saying and doing the wrong things I for one know I need forgiveness and the overpowering sense of God's grace.  I find that my weaknesses drive me to prayer and like the drunk I need the presence of a Higher Power everyday.

"On the road to redemption it is important to daily affirm spiritual truths.  I can suffer emotionally and physically with doubt and fear of change and sadness at loss.

No comments: