Friday, January 28, 2011

RAINY DAY DUCKS

Lots of ducks having fun.  I have not walked over to the pond for a long time but I was glad I did.  It was raining lightly when I left home but the rain got very heavy as I was taking pictures.

I guess that I am lucky that I did not have to choose to become a Christian I just thought I was from the very earliest of memories.  I was not brought up to expect amazing  or exiting revelations but expected my faith to be a comfort and a strength to me. 

I like the picture of all the different ducks swimming together and I always expected that everyone would believe in God.  Not only did I believe but I believe that God was the only one who could love me unconditionally. The music has always assured me that I was in the right place.  Over the years this has included everything from the organ to rock bands.  You can get lost in music and finding emotions arising that you were not aware of inside you.

Somewhere along the way I wanted more because there appeared to be an empty space in my life.  What I wanted was an immediacy that would help me make choices.  There came a time when I would question the authority of the church and if the Bible was to be taken literally.  You have to wrestle with these things and it is good to have others to talk to, and books to explore and an inner voice that whispers softly.  I was not caught up in a lot of rules because I was in a moderate church,

But now I wonder if my religiosity is an embarrassment to my family but I do not give it too much thought.  At least I have never shaved my hair or given out flowers in the airport, although I have nothing against people who do.Some people think that only weak people need faith and that all believers are just hypocrites.  The truth is that we are all so different and even when trying to be scholarly instead of just weird.  Spirituality can seep into our pours in unexpected ways.  I have never used beads to pray like the rosary beads of the Catholics or Tibetan prayer beads.  I have never been on a yoga retreat or been good at long meditation but there is freedom to choose what I love and enjoy doing and that includes going to church.

Sometimes going into a church can make someone feel strange and different from everyone else.   Going to church for me is a time to learn what others have found meaningful in their lives.  Most of us pick and choose what to build our faith upon.

 It is about time not place; so where ever you feel the magic it becomes a place of worship.  Watching the ducks enjoy swiming and slashes around in their small pond makes me feel happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your believe is not an embarassment to me. Is my unbelief an embarrasment to you? Sandra

beth bennett said...

No I do not think so.

I enjoyed the times we did go to church together and that was good. But life changes and I am proud of you just as you are!
love mom