Wednesday, March 26, 2014

STEREOTYPES

P3230663
I look at this display put up in front of this person’s home and I get an impression that he loves the sea and birds.  Certainly it has taken a lot of work and energy to create this totum like sculpture.  They seem to be a bit eccentric.

When we walk through the forest we see stones balanced upon stones that those who walked this way before us created.

It is a quiet and peaceful place for contemplation and rest.  I think most of us long for a peaceful world.  Peace in our families, our relationships and peace of mind.  We all know  that  even a slight misunderstanding can derail a friendship. Trust is so important.  We choose our beliefs on this desire and, so to me,  I look for peace in my faith beliefs.

I discover that the Jewish writer of my book about "Jesus the Jew " is appalled by the violence and the genocide that  lies in relationship which are so much a part of the Old Testament.

"The rabbinic tradition and subsequent interpretations of these verses  denounce violence.  These passages and the past should serve as perpetual reminders of the evils that humans perpetrate on each other in the name of religion."  -Amy-Jill Levine from ""Jesus the Misunderstood Jew".

P3230665We see through the eyes of others and we hear through the words of others.  Experts trying to convince us that they really are knowledgeable but they have been influenced by their teachers and what they believed. 

Philip Yancey like many of us avoided the Old Testament but through study and with new insights there is a promise of fulfillment that comes in our deeper understanding of Jesus.

Yesterday morning I had to battle with myself about going for my walk.  Was I making myself better?  Was I being brave?  Was I being foolish and making myself worse?   I have days like everyone where I doubt myself.  I am happy because dad and I can gain strength from each other as well as from nature.

Dad waited till afternoon to go for a walk and the rain started to really pour.  It really seems exercise helps his blood-pressure. Of course we know it is good for all of us.

Today I am off to Bible Study to study Revelation.  Should be good for a laugh.




5 comments:

Sandra said...

Sukhi and I ended up walking in the rain too. At least it was not that cold out. Our yard is a mess, lumber piled up all over. Have fun at your bible study. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Like this fellow you mention, I doubt very much that the Old Testament could tell us much about Jesus.

I was at Chapters the other day and got one of the staff to help me with the Kobo reader. They wondered how come I have so many books on there when I have only bought 3 or 4 (there are almost 500 books on my Kobo, many of them very recent).

A stationary bike would be very, very good for Dad. Very little stress on the legs and knees and such (at the right settings), but gives you lots of exercise.

Love,

Rick

larry bennett said...

So true - through the eyes of others. So called experts. Those who usually have a reason for continually repeating the lame explanations of old testament drivel in slightly different wording - IT IS THEIR JOB !!

To look at the written word objectively and use the brain that god?? gave you, like you are doing daily, is, in my opinion worth all those "experts" in the world. Your thinking makes you a real person that has her own opinions and I respect and love you for them.
Me.

Mama Lee said...

I saw that house with sea scene yesterday. I saw a man & his son outside working on it. I find it kind of 'restful' looking at it. All is calm.

beth bennett said...

Thanks Lee for your comment.

We certainly had another fun study group and it was so good Vera could come and even lead it today.
love beth