Sunday, October 19, 2014

MOMENTARILY

I enjoy the quiet and my morning coffee knowing the day will have more moments of taking in the good and let  “it pass through me like the wind through the trees”   -Rick Hanson
PA160428
The simple pleasures of a walk in the freshness of the fall air, warmth from a friend as we enjoy  lunch together, my favorite sweater, old and worn but so comfortable, a smile on my walk, a good book to read are all good things  that momentarily make my day better.  Happier.

PA170450
These boots were made for walking and Haiti can hardly wait.
 

These are my brain books.  I am very slowly reading.  Right now I am reading "Hard wiring Happiness" the new brain science of contentment, calm and confidence.  Not just positive thinking or manufacturing positive experiences, but transforming fleeting experiences into lasting improvements in your neutral net worth.  Learning how to take charge of your brain in  down to earth ways and weave the  positive into your mind, your brain, and your life (and heart).

PA160413The writer, Rick Hanson, is a neuropsychologist.   Right away I think of the words of Paul who writes and tells others to take on the mind of Christ.  I think we all want and need feelings of connection, contentment, inner peace, joy and love.
 
Several days ago  had a spell of feeling weak and unsteady on my feet.  The good thing is I know if I keep on walking etc. it will improve.  I am using my cane again for a short while and maybe it serves me right for being "Braggy Pants". 
 
"In the beginning the hole in my heart seemed so big as an empty swimming pool.  But taking in a few experiences (a smile or a kind word) each day of being included, appreciated or cared about felt like tossing a few buckets of water into the pool."  -Rick Hanson

Yesterday I read "The Brain That Changes Everything."

The brains of blind people who read braille recruit the visual cortex to process information by touch.

I can image that Jesus could use that energy to touch and heal people.  Anything is possible!

I find that learning can be fascinating ; especially when you use your imagination.

Dad does not want me cutting the grass but Sandra is with a broken bone floating around in her foot.  I hope she can get her results quickly and get treated.  She has had this for a while.  Her mother is the last to know.

Kim went off to a wedding last night so dad and I watched hockey and off to bed early.

Leah phoned Howard passed away.

3 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

I agree with all the things you quoted that made you happier....simple things, and they are free!

Those are "pretty brainy quotes" Beth.The Rick Hanson's book sounds interesting.

Sorry to hear that you had a weak spell while walking, but glad to hear it was short and you take your cane.
I believe walking is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourself....and the best thing it is FREE! I can walk two or three miles a day and come home, have a short rest, then have a lot more energy than I would have if I hadn't walked.I am sure you find the same thing, Beth.

Our forecasted weather for the upcoming week is amazing....lots of sun and warm temperatures. Good for finishing the fall cleanup ourdoors.

We hire someone to cut our grass. It doesn't cost much and Carl cannot do it. I am too busy doing all the things he cannot do. It is a large yard and takes him two hours. He charges $40.

Have a wonderful day,

Love, Nancy

Sandra said...

You were not the last to know, and until the X-rays come back bones floating around is just my unofficial self diagnosis. So, a cane in one hand and a phone in your pocket on your walks now? Dad did not call me yet, remind him to so I have the number in my cell. Sandra

Steady-as-rain said...

By the way, I was hoping to stay with you on Sunday as I have a meeting in Chilliwack Monday morning. I could cut the grass.

Love,

Rick