Thursday, October 23, 2014

VISIONS

PA220496
A tree I had been waiting to completely fill with color but too late now the wind has blown nearly all the leaves off.  I walked in the dark and then went out again when Kim told me about the condition of the park.  This tree is a vision of beauty when it is all ablaze with color.

Also I thought the fresh air would help my headache I have had since I woke up.

We are study about Paul who experienced a brilliant light and heard a voice speak to him on his way to Damascus in Syria.  In Biblical language he had a vision.  A vivid subjective sense of momentarily seeing and hearing another reality.  The vision blinded him and his sight did not return until a disciple named Ananias was told in another vision to go and pray for him.  It would be a fearful thing to do because Paul was their enemy at that time.

This vision completely changed Paul's purpose for his life.  He would become the one who would be an apostle to the Gentiles.  He had a conversion experience within his own tradition, from one way of being Jewish to another.  He also became a mystic, someone who knows God and has direct, vivid and typically frequent experiences of the sacred.  He also expressed his own cultural views.

There has been a lot of criticism of his writings and some are hard to understand but they are worth studying.  He was far from perfect but our imperfections do not prevent the spirit of God from working in our lives.

I could not shake my headache so decided to stay home.  I was also feeling that I wanted to stay close to a loved one with all that was going on.

Today I will visit Jim and the gals as usual.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

It is so sad that someone wants to bring this violence to Canada. I mean, it just adds to the fear and district to others of different nationalities. I hope the news and what not are able to separate the crazy actions of one man from the religion in as a whole.

Sandra

Oh, and why the proving we are not robots?

beth bennett said...

I did not do anything and I think dad has to do it too. I do not answers anything that pops up. Computers are strange.

Yes I agree that religion cannot be judged by crazy people who kill or those on T.V. who make weird statements.

Raining again today.

Had a better sleep.

love mom

nancy-Lou said...

How was your visiting with Jim and the gals? Is Jim doing any better?
You are such a faithful servant of the Lord, Beth....always caring for others.

My goodness you have had some wild weather. I guess mother nature is blowing away fall and soon moving in to winter. You wouldn't know that here though...it has been like early September weather....simply beautiful. Didn't need a jacket today while we were in the city.

Isn't Paul supposed to be the "peoples" disciple? I thought I heard that before.

I am busy filling out my music students entries in to the Winnipeg Music Festival. It is crunch time, deciding what to choose for a piece and to get the entries in to Winnipeg for Nov 1.

I hope you have some nice weather soon...sun and warmth.

Take care,
Love, Nancy

Steady-as-rain said...

Sorry about the persisting headache. I always take an Advil when I have a headache.

Paul was an interesting character. Probably far more important in regard to how Christianity developed than Jesus.

Love,

Rick