Friday, October 10, 2014

QUIETNESS

P9280237Hard to adjust to the quietness,

Hard to walk alone physically and spiritually.

Adjusting to changes in our relationships is a challenge too.

Listening to good  advice from our children.

Longing for something more:
the fullness of truth,
the awe of all that is beautiful
the quest for youth that has somehow quietly escaped and left us 
but not without filling the emptiness with love, love of family and friends and the love of the spirit that is Jesus.

Evidently Jim, who was sitting so quietly outside the Home, had raised a great ruckus demanding to be released and even started walking down the long hallway, forced the staff to call his daughter.  She came and picked him up, took him to the bank to get money and maybe a bottle of something, and back to the nursing home.

DSCN5336He still has a very nasty cough and has lost a lot of weight but there is a great sadness in his eyes that has replaced the anger.  He knows he has won the battle but the victory will not be for long.  His past is catching up to him as it does to us all.  He  is very thankful for the milkshake and enjoys it to the last slurp.

I did some other visiting and left waving to him as I drove out of the parking lot.

Kim joined us for supper and then dad and I had a quiet evening together.

Today Sandra will drop by after she visits the dentist.

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I hope my grandkids give me a name label like yours one day! And you do not have to show up early and fold napkins, on second thought you are right, you have done your fair share of dinners and dishes in your life time.

beth bennett said...

My V.O.P. stands for very important old person. I think my job seems to be to stay out of the way.

Good luck with your studying this morning and we will see you after the dentist.

Love mom

Anonymous said...

We closed the deal on the house on Wednesday night,and get possession on Nov.14. Carol has lots of plans on how to spend money and we're not even owners yet! Carol was going to pick up Ben and Morgan tonight, but now it looks like we are getting them tomorrow for the weekend.xo Panteli

nancy-Lou said...

I wish I lived close by, Beth and would love to walk with you...and to talk with you about things spiritual. I would learn a lot from you...you would be the teacher and I, the student!

It sounds as though Jim has moved beyond the anger to acceptance of his condition. But causing a ruckus in the nursing home...oh dear! not good! I bet he wanted to buy some spirits and not the super natural kind! haha. You have been so kind to him under difficult circumstances, Beth. I admire your faithfulness.

We were in the city today. There was a planned power outage for 8 hours so we decided to go and do errands. I found a great thrift store...a lot larger than the VV I have seen. It is run by the Mennonite Central Committee and they had a lot of neat things. Even a cuckoo clock. The price was alittle stiff $188. So I passed. Lots of beautiful crystal pieces...some quite pricey. Tons of kitchen stuff and a whole huge room of furniture. I made one purchase of a ladies top...it was a Tanjay top...looked new for $2.99. The clothing was really cheap. I will go again when I have more time.

How is the weather out there? Has the rainy season started?

Take care on your walks Beth,

Love, Nancy

beth bennett said...

Hi Nancy, It is fun going to those thrift stores and the Mennonite do a good job. Yes we could have some interesting walks together I agree.
Jim was actually still in the hospital when he cause the ruckus.
Ron Ateah phones today to have a chat and he may come over for the week end if he can arrange some one to care for his place. It would be great fun for us all if he is able to come.
love beth

beth bennett said...

Great news Panteli we are excited for you both. Lucky you have Ben and Morgan too.
love beth