Thursday, November 27, 2014

TEMPTATIONS

PB260867PB190814
Here is a few of my Bible Study Group.  We had another fun meeting.  Two of our gang were missing and we look forward to our Dec. gather to make special bags for single moms and some poor moms too.  Every woman likes to have a few treats just for herself at Christmas. Thankful for good friends and enjoyable discussions even of difficult text.
 
This time of year I always find that food is more tempting as you have this urge to eat old family favorites.  I crave sweets and rich food.  There are smells and tastes that remind of us of childhood Christmases.  Yes, I am thankful for the changes in what is available for GF people.
 
I am tempted to want to make others happy by giving just the right presents but I know that happiness comes from within and just knowing that others think and care about is enough.
I love getting a card or a phone call so I am sure others do too!
                                                                                                We read in scripture that Jesus faced temptation and until we get a picture of the temptations he had to face we do not relate;
turn stones into loaves of bread
throw yourself down from the pinnacle of the temple and prove angels will protect you
surrender to Satan and gain the control of the whole world.
 
PB190817 Mary and Joseph had a hard time facing hardships and ridicule which a long journey and a birth in a strange and dark place with the smells of animals and no room for them in the inn and no beautiful crib to lay their baby down in..     The words paint a picture of pain and loneliness and I would imagine  at the sadness of all their hopes and dreams disappearing.
 
It is tempting for me to stay in bed and not go for my walk in the cold rain.  I feel the chill of old age in my bones and muscles now and I do not like it.
 
All of us face temptations that promise to make life easier and happier.

Today is visiting Jim day!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

It is warmer out this morning so no excuses to not be out walking! How much bible studying do you actually do? I am glad today is my last work day this week, Randy is on graveyards and I never really sleep will after he leaves at 11:30.
Sandra

Sandra said...

It is warmer out this morning so no excuses to not be out walking! How much bible studying do you actually do? I am glad today is my last work day this week, Randy is on graveyards and I never really sleep will after he leaves at 11:30.
Sandra

Steady-as-rain said...

I don't believe that Jesus performed miracles, but it doesn't really matter to me if he did or not.

It seems to me that people who "need" to believe in miracles are like the devil in the story of the temptation of Christ. The real message of Jesus, as I see it, involves freeing yourself from the pagan idea of miracles just as Jesus freed himself from the temptation of the devil. Miracles, Jesus is saying (in effect), are quite beside the point. And with that I very much agree.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Good comments and questions.

We talk about how different things were when we were growing up.

I think that faith can be called a miracle to begin with.

love mom