Thursday, January 15, 2015

DUSTY

PC101059
Dusting off the old Bible I settle down to do my lesson on a cold frosty Wed. morning.  Yes it has gotten dusty over the busy holiday season when I was busy coughing and sneezing and wanted easy reading when I felt like reading.

 I would take a picture of the sun rise but my camera has disappeared now.  It was a glorious sunrise full of bight colors and I only see a tiny bit of it from our house.

It is hard making sense of my lesson until I really put my mind to it.

"Just as rain water comes down in drops and forms rivers, so with scripture one studies a bit today and some more to-morrow, until in time the understanding becomes like a flowing stream."  -Song of songs Midrash Rabbah 28

Modern technology have given us new tools and new information to use as tools to help  us study the Bible.  (I think probably written by too many male brains.)   I had a friend pick me up so that dad could use the car planning to go to Costco.  We had an unexpected visit from our friends Pat and John haven just been to the dentist so not happy about the expense and still having pain after a root canel.

Getting to my study turned into a problem as I had told my friend the wrong address.  I come home realizing I need to do some brain work.  Taking a minute to focus first on how I am feeling in the moment.  Take several breaths and relax and let go of all worries.  Rest and relax in this growing peace.  Bring into your mind the things you are thankful for and what makes you happy.

Let yourself  feel appreciated, liked and loved.  With peace and contentment and love woven into your mind there comes renewed energy.  One of the reason there can be a problem with religion is there is a feeling of rigidity.  A simple few moments of allowing yourself to feel good about yourself and about your life can be very healing.

We had a hilarious meeting as usual although some liked the lesson while others disagreed with a lot of things.  I wonder if we will ever get to meet Paul, a product o his time and culture who felt the end of all things could be soon.

Meanwhile centuries have passed. 

Today I will be visiting Jim and a few others at the Home.  Thursday seems to come around so quickly!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

i heard about the sunrise when I was driving, though I was in thick fog so did not get to see it.

On the drive home the day before I had left my work in the sunshine, just as it was setting and all so pretty on the north shore mountains. But as soon as I got under the Pattullo Bridge instant thick fog and dark as night!

I will be glad to see the rain back.

Sandra

nancy-Lou said...

I just dusted off my Fathers old bible and gave it to our son Mark. It is one of the few things I was able to find after the house fire that took the life of both my Father and Mother. That was almost 40 years ago and I miss them every day.

I am glad that you made it to your study group, Beth.

I enjoyed our study group with our church members...that was a few years ago. The discussion after watching the video was really interesting. Our minister looks after two rural churches and one of them in in danger of closing due to poor attendance. Our church is supported by the large summer population which really helps with the expenses.

Well I must get a handle on my "dusty" house and get busy. The deluxe home cleaning package I won will be done next Friday....wasn't I lucky to win it?

Have a great day.

Love,
Nancy

beth bennett said...

Another brilliant sunrise.

....cold and dark when Kim and I were both up at 6.

Dad waits for the sunshine.

I will take Haiti for a second walk she gives me a reason to make the effort.

Then rest before visiting.

love mom

Steady-as-rain said...

Yes, that rascal Paul is the real key. He turned the Jesus cult into the Walmart of religions!

Love,

Rick