Sunday, January 1, 2017

LIFE AND DEATH

Dad's picture/
It started snowing  while I was in getting the infusion and continued all day.
                                                                   A winter wonderland

Arriving at the room where I was going to have my treatment an older man was brought in looking very near death.  He took all the attention of the two nurses.  Even going to a hospital makes one aware of life and death. 

I chat to the lady next to me who I meet last time I was there.  She is having a very rough time and her husband looks deeply concerned.

Dad is visiting Don Begg knowing he is dying.  They laugh together at old memories of working together.

In life we will become aware of death.

I was anxious to get started so we could go for lunch with Carol and Panteli and have a fun visit.

Arriving home we hear the news of our dear friends death of two grandchildren in a plane crash.  They were about the same age of Ben and Morgan.  We are deeply shocked by the news.
They at least will share their grief with their loved ones and the loving prayers of friends and most of all they will know that God's love will surround them and help them bear this tragedy.

Life can take us down dark roads at times but I like to believe there is a part of each one of us that is indefinable and changeless.  We are born with an authenticity which is part of the way we choose to live and will be with us when se die.

I hope at the end of life I will become more genuine, more accepting of my faults and failures
as well as less judgmental of others.
Our lives are precious and we have an opportunity to share our gifts every day we live.

I live by faith that in death there is life!

This year will be a time of learning to live by grace!

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

Life and Death.....It seems going to the hospital for doctor visits or treatments brings home how fragile our life really is. We see the sadness of people there and we see some miracles too. Touching stories about the lady beside you and the old fellow who looked near death.

This holiday season really bothered me in some ways...when I see how overboard everyone goes ....flooding the malls and grocery stores and buy buy and buy...yet there are those who live without, those who are so ill, those who need help desperately and those who have died.
Somehow it doesn't seem right to me and I have to think is this what Jesus would want...for us to celebrate his birthday with such extravagance?

I know it isn't going to happen..but what if we forgot about all the fancy and expensive gifts...all the over the top foods and gave even a percentage of what we spent to those who have little or nothing.

Perhaps it is because we have a close relative who was just diagnosed with cancer and it dying in the hospital...OR because we lost a friend and neighbour, on Christmas Eve.

I copied a story Louella wrote yesterday....it really hit home for me. Louella is a cousin to Ron Ateah....not sure if you know her. Her Dad is Lorne Lester and her Grandmother was Laella Ateah... .The eldest child of Michael and Sophia...Louella is a retired teacher and a published author. She lives in Winnipeg, but was born and raised at Victoria Beach. Let me know your thoughts Beth.

Louella Lester
Yesterday at 08:33 ·
Well, today I got up early to write at the coffee shop before a friend is to meet me here. It's a cold morning in Winnipeg.

A young women carrying a backpack, a carry-all and a bag of bottles and cans comes in--she drops the bag in the corner. She's wearing a thin jacket over a navy hoodie. She looks familiar, like she could have been one of the many students who attended one of the schools I taught at over the years.

Or it could be because she is the young woman who left the washroom quickly one day, water and paper towels all over the floor, after I had waited and waited and waited to use it.

Now the manager tries to be kind, says she's sorry, when she tells the young woman she can't stay. Tells her it's happened too many times. The young women, let's call her a girl, asks for ten minutes. The manger says no because it always starts like this. They go back and forth. The girl claims her innocence, says she is not the one who was shooting up in the washroom before.

Then life steps in as it always does. The girl is fussing about in her backpack and something drops to the floor. It's a needle.

She scoops it up and pushes it into the bag. Still she doesn't give up. Back and forth. And eventually the manager follows through on her threat to call the police.

The girl takes her time. Adjusts her hoodie. Repacks her bags. Sifts through the garbage can near the door. Leaves. But hangs out by the window for a few minutes. Standing her ground.

Love, Nancy

nancy-Lou said...

I forgot to mention WOWSERS did you ever receive a lot of snow! This might be the snowiest winter yet for Vancouver.Those are quite the pictures.

Louella also is Carl's cousin. Her Grandmother was an Ateah.

Love, Nancy

Steady-as-rain said...

Very impressive thoughts, Mom, regarding death and all that. I have come to believe that 'we' go back to where we were before we were born. Which, I know, is just as mysterious and vague as any other theory in this regard. But I somehow find it comforting.

I will start taking the high blood pressure medicine in the morning. I was going to start to today, but didn't think of it until now. When I looked at the directions (after reading over, once again, the long list of side effects) I noticed that they insist it has to be taken in the morning. So tomorrow morning it is.

It snowed a bit here yesterday, but nothing too much.

My new car deal is going to happen on Tuesday, if it is going to happen at all.

Love,

Rick

Sandra said...

Oh, I did not know you were trading in your jeep Rick, it isn't
all that old.

Being with Mary and Mike over the holidays can be tough as he works in the ER. Over the past week there were two babies brought in who ended up dying, one was shaken, the other thrown against a wall.

How are you feeling, any tiny bit of improvement from you iron yet?

We were home not too late last night, by 9:30 I think, but I will work from home today as there is no daycare for Peanut and Randy is working days. Plus I picked up a cold and cough on my travels.


Sandra