Sunday, January 12, 2014

COURAGE

P1030303
I admire people who do great and wonderful courageous acts.  The thing is that for most of us it takes courage just get up and face whatever the day holds for us.  No one wants to be sick or in pain or lonely or depressed but circumstances can drain us of energy and it takes courage just to deal with the things in our own lives.  The encouragement of others and also being able to encourage some one is a blessing.
 
I spent yesterday reading about someone with great courage facing illness and also reading about others.  There is a story about Dr. Shamail who was the first woman doctor to return to Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban to deliver materials and child related medical services that no male doctor would have been allowed to perform. 
 
Then there is Mariatu born in Sierra Leone, captured by rebels, adult and boy soldiers.  It was the boy soldiers who cut off her hands.  Crying and struggling she asked them why they would want to do such a cruel thing to someone their own age.  They said it was to stop her from voting.  A book about her experiences and her determination to learn to feed herself.  A book called "The  Bite of The Mango.
 
Many years later she would meet Ishmael Beah, the former child soldier and struggle with forgiveness.
 
The important thing we can do is to do what we can and support others who are facing great challenges. 

It takes courage to survive the difficult teen years of uncertainty, to get married (or divorced) to have babies and try to teach them to value themselves and to get a good education, to see your children move so far away, to live with pain or disability and of course growing older until one loses their independence.

Dad and I have come through many life changes so we are to be congratulated on that; but I am finding that old age is changing me so that at times I do not feel like myself anymore.  I hope others understand.

The good thing is that as I get older I need less and less to make me happy but what I do need is courage to face difficulties that lie ahead for both dad and I.  It takes courage to admit your fears but we all have them, about ourselves or about our family,  We will take each day as it comes and  prayerfully face life with courage and hopefulness. 

It was great to have a phone call from Mary today.  She sure cheered us up.

Also nice to have Panteli drop by and then we skyped Carol looking really happy and healthy.
 We sure do miss her but pleased she is happy.  Imagine going swimming every day!

We know that our whole lives can change in an instant-so that each person that adds to our lives with friendliness and expression of love gives each of us a sense of courage and inner strength.  So thankful to see our great grandchildren.  Four generations!

DSCN1932

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD MORNING , we are starting a really hot week here . The Australian Open starts today. At least you and Dad have each other , and can grow old together .. Ken

Sandra said...

Yes, a lot of life comes down to our own choices of how we decide to live. I am struggling to be happy with the house. I know it is incredibly ungrateful to not be happy with it and yet I have to force my self to choose contentment. I do not want to rebuild a garden from scratch, I dont want to haul another tonne of dirt. But if that is the worst I have to face in life, good grief, I sure as heck better do my complaining in private! Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes Sandra, it is wonderful when you have a house you really love.

The only homes we lived in that I really liked were - Stevens drive - 53rd street I liked the property - not the house 56 AVE - and our present home. Now that I look at it I guess I really can't complain at all!
But I think we come to love a home because of all the love and fun times associated with it.

dad