Friday, August 8, 2014

THE WATCHER

P8031866
I have decided to become a watcher and an observer of  how other people walk and I say, okay to myself , I do not want to walk like that.  This means concentration and determination.

As I came home from a short walk I see the orange cat sitting in the driveway next door to us glaring at all the dogs who go by, and yes it does scare them.  We were given the evil eye too when we first moved in.  We have now been accepted.

I m really watching out for skunks on my walk because they really scare me.

I am sure there are people watching us too.  Seeing dad go off on his bike now is the talk of the neighborhood.  He still has a lot of pain in his feet but at least he can go out and explore the world.

As I sat with Jim outside on the front of the Seniors Home I watch the Korean people coming and going.  They bow politely to one another and to me.  There seems to be a special calmness that surrounds each one.  Many of them are very old but still go for daily walks and join in singing in the choir.  I chuckle to myself as I think of Jim in the middle  of these Christian people, so orderly and happy.  We sit and gaze at the  the flowers that they have planted with so much energy and joy.  They show a deep appreciation for beauty.

I am reminded that in the end all I have to do is be present right where I am here and now.

8 comments:

Sandra said...

A determined cat can be a very scary thing. I wonder who watches me as I walk. I know I check out all of the houses when I walk by, checking to see if anything has changed since the day before. Candice and Sukhi come over today and my ducts get cleaned. Sandra

larry bennett said...

Yes it is rewarding in many respects to be aware and interested in the people, animals and everything around one.

I cannot count how many times over the years I have said to myself how fortunate I am to not have some disability I see in another person, young or old. Now time has caught up to me.

It is so relaxing when walking in the forest to look for little animals and birds, or the tree tops waving in the breeze, especially when it is so calm way down on the forest floor.
It is not quite as relaxing on my e-bike, but I am getting more comfortable with it all the time.

I am so proud of my loving life time partner.

nancy-Lou said...

Being watchful is a kind neighbour things to do! We look out for each other here too. Most of my neighbours are family.Nephews, sister in law, brother in law, our sons, cousins...the Ateah family is a large family.

You sure do well, Beth, to overcome your walking difficulties...through determination. I am so glad you have improved.

If you come across a skunk..do not move quickly or scream...just quietly walk the other way. They will not spray. They are very docile creatures and only spray as a last resort.I see them here all the time. We have a mom and six babies who are here daily. Just have to keep them out of the back yard where the dogs are.

How wonderful Larry is enjoying his bike and getting all over.
Good for you Larry!

I think the Korean people may be Buddhist. They are such respectful people.

Love, Nancy

nancy-Lou said...

My cat got sprayed the other night...I had to use skunk off on him...crazy cat. He is black and white and may have confused the skunks with his cat relatives!

love, nancy

larry bennett said...

I sometimes think I smell a skunk smell out our window. Maybe one of the neighborhood cats got sprayed.

The Koreans at the Home are very strong Christians, believe it or not. They have a hymn sing every day and a minister comes regularly. He even talk to Jim and that did not go well.

Larry is getting some tools ready to send over to Oliver as he is fixing up the home he has bought. He is so happy even though it needs a lot of work.

Carol is on her way over too unexpectedly but that is why we do not plan too much as we never know what is going to happen.
love beth

Anonymous said...

Go lions go. I am getting better , going into work today. Bad cough just can't get rid of it. Kids are going to stay at Nona's house today. Melina and Jesse are going to a TAFE ( trade school ) open house in the city to have a look around. Golf looks interesting . Woods should have given someone else the spot if his back was so sore.
Cold windy , but there are new buds on some trees , spring not far away.
Ken

Steady-as-rain said...

I wonder if the orange cat can keep the racoons out of his yard. Probably quieter than Haiti the barking fiend dog. :)

Love,

Rick

larry bennett said...

We just had six racoons in our back pond - they are very cute - especially the young ones - have a lot of fun in the water.