Tuesday, October 6, 2015

AGING

The leaves change color and die and fall off.

The world was alive with color and still is.

It is cool in the morning and in the evening but the sun is so warm it feels hot.

I had another bad nightmare, so I guess dad is going to get use to me screaming.  This time I was hit on the head with a heavy object.

I think maybe it is a bit of the trauma of my fall etc. working out some of my fears.  It may be the reason I have not been sleeping well.

Reading about aging and nurses and doctors I realize no one had time to talk to me or prepare me for each step.  There is a rare young person, like our granddaughters Shawna and Leah who are good with the elderly.

Our hair, turns gray, as we run out of pigment cells.  My mom had gray hair by the time she was forty and my dad had very little gray at 90.

My mom always took good care of herself and dad and did not take on many activities outside the home.  They had no car so she too walked to the store to buy groceries.  I realize that this can be an effort.  My brother would be sent to pick up a loaf of bread or milk or some small things.

My dad was not an easy man because he was very demanding and wanted things kept in good order and meals etc. on time and well prepared.  My dad had nerve problems along with asthma and pain in his hips.  I realize too how draining any pain can be.  Even a thorn in the finger can really hurt.

My shoulder pain is lessening but sadly dad's painful feet are worse.  He is soaking them.  Dad helped with the vacuuming and cleaned up after breakfast.  I am grateful for any help.

We are both getting weaker but I know I have to keep moving.  I have two short walks both with Haiti in the
morning and in the afternoon.

Dad had a shorter bike ride on Monday.

Wed. I have my ladies meeting and I am taking warm socks and hats.  Others will bring knitted ones but they are all needed.  There is a guest speaker informing us about wills.

"Opening one's eyes may take a lifetime.  Seeing is done in a flash!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

So are you finding the book interesting at all? Learning anything useful?

That picture of you and dad is not too bad, though the ones you took were better.

Sandra

beth bennett said...

The book "Being Mortal" makes some excellent points but is also depressing to read about how people die.

I think I may have to teach my doctor a thing or two!

love mom