Tuesday, August 23, 2016

CONVICTIONS

We all have our convictions and that is good!

I believe there is much good in all religions but there is also ideas and thoughts that can mislead.  I have at times struggled to know what to believe.  I have changed some convictions over time because I continued to search and strive for the truth.  I believe all religions have spiritual practices that promise to renew our spiritual energy.

The Scripture teaches that before we were even formed in the womb God knew us.

At the very dawn of out life we had to fight over-whelming odds at the time of conception in the womb and in a often unfair world where there is sickness and evil.  We are human beings with the potential to be spiritual beings who live with compassionate hearts.  We would like to be perfect.

As we get older and less able to do things I know I have battled feelings as my role in life changes.  One of my convictions is the knowledge that I am to give thanks and rejoice in all I have been given and in what simple things I can give to others,  Life is to precious to be grumpy, but at times I do get annoyed at things that do not work and people who do not understand me.

I fail and I fall but the amazing truth is that the grace of unconditional love is still with me.

Lord Your word says You perceive my thoughts so even my thoughts have value and purpose.

"If I rise in the wings of the dawn You are there."  Psalm 139

I am going to start reading  The History of Christian Thought  and gain a little more of the background of how our world has been shaped by great thinkers of the past.






5 comments:

Steady-as-rain said...

The history of Christiam thought is a wonderful topic. Especially the earliest years. Of course, less is known about the earlier times.

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

Convictions and changing thoughts and beliefs.....hmmmmm. In some ways I long for the time of my youth when I was a staunch Anglican and never missed church...sang in the choirs and felt so safe and loved by our Lord Jesus Christ and our God. I truly believed in miracles and that God made things happen, like walking on water or burning bushes. It was very reassuring.

But, over the years my convictions have changed. Mainly through reading books and by experiencing life over the past 72 years. I am a Christian,that I know, but not sure how to define my faith.
I do have a strong faith in God....and feel his presence mostly when walking in nature.

We had a tornado warning for Victoria Beach last evening...the first time I have heard of that...and it was my friend who is a senior meteorologist in Grand Forks, North Dakota, who warned me...Environment Canada never sent me an alert on my phone or laptop.
I prepared everything...closed windows, made sure the pets were in the house,ran pails of water (if we lost our power, we have no water ) got the flashlights out, brought in some outdoor plants.and it was all for naught...thankfully! The worst of the storm was just to our north and there were tornadoes that caused destruction across the lake...15 kms away.

We await the diagnosis of what caused the engine failure in our van. Hopefully it will be due to the previous claim on the insurance when it wasn't properly repaired. In the meantime, the little Nissan Micra car has grown on us...it is small and very efficient on gas. 7litres per 100 kms. So thankful for the extra insurance we had for a rental car for a month.

Have a wonderful day,

Love, Nancy

Unknown said...

l try to see him more clearly follow him more nearly and love him more dearly.Day by day, day by day. My faith has been refined by fire and Beth you have helped me walk through that fire . It seems to me that most of us have a bit of fire to walk thruogh but it is possible to come out without too much scaring. Remember the fire walking.Gatherings a few years back if you walk through after a bit of training your feet were fine.It,s a fabulous morning here we will be off soon to a morning of music and this afternoon we take delivery of a sofa bed so that we can offer friends a place to stay.much love Jane

beth bennett said...

Yes Rick I would like dad to read it too!

Dad and I are off to his surgeon today.

Sorry Cameron fainted but hope he is well checked out.

love mom

Sandra said...

The older I get the fewer convictions I have, or at least they are not as black and white, that is for sure. Like Jane says, day by day. Sorry I did not call yesterday. Got home and cleaned up and did laundry and then went out and sat by the pool, determined to finish my novel before my vacation was over.

I hope they give Cameron a good thorough going over. He looks so strong and healthy so I hope they do not just see it as an acceptable occurrence.

I will call and see how the surgeon appointment went when I get home from Pilates.

Sandra