Wednesday, September 12, 2012

SCARY

I sometimes think it is scary when I think of people more educated than I am reading my blog; so I try not to think about it.  A lawyer,  scholars,  musicians, financial experts  an expert gardener, family and friends,  etc. all deep thinkers and  very thoughtful caring people with loving comments
Then there is me the imperfect scatter-brain me writing to myself  and making lots or errors!

Also very scary when a gangster style van sits outside your house at night with its flashers on for about 20 minutes.

It is extremely scary when my tooth that holds my post in starts wiggling and I know I need major dental work that will be painful and very expensive.  I was really hoping I would not have to have this big job done.  The timing is not right with the wedding coming up.  I am scared to eat and even sleep because I think it might come out and I will swallow it.  Oh and I am scared of dentists.

Dad and I went shopping for slippers on Monday but did not get any. I bought a new top and slacks, yes in a bigger size!  Scary! lol  We did go grocery shopping and save 25 dollars.  Dad's feet were hurting and he did not know if he would go for a walk but we did later in the day.  He took me on a scary path, very rugged and up and down, and he loved it.  New paths are a new adventure!

We went to Chapters to look for our new study book but they did not have it so I bought another one instead. Surprise! Surprise!  It is called "Jesus, Interrupted" and takes me into the scary territory of the hidden contradictions in the Bible.  The author believes Jesus has been misquoted and yet his words have been such a comfort to so many of us.  Scary!

I have over the years taken the Bible very seriously and mostly as a devotional book inspired by God.
I have resisted change with all my mind, heart and soul.  I still believe it is a very significant book that has the power to change lives and for me a deeply revered book. 

"Scholars of the Bible have made significant progress in understanding this book over the past two hundred years.  They have built on archaeological discoveries, advances in our knowledge of the ancient Hebrew and Greek languages in which the books of scripture were originally written, and deeply penetrating historical, literary and textual analysis."

These changes have not been communicated to us the average church goer, for a variety of reasons.
It is scary stuff.  It appears that I have to be willing to have an open mind and be re -educated.  First I start with the inerrant parts of the Bible and view the church as an institution although I still view both as Holy!    It calls for a rude awakening that challenges my cherished beliefs.

A devotional approach is concerned with what the Bible teaches about life and especially what it says to me and how I deal with scary things.    I have not been concerned with who were the real authors, the circumstances under which they lived and wrote, what issues were they trying to address in their day, what sources did they use and what did they want the scriptures to say.  I trusted the holy word and it has influenced my life and help me cope with major illness etc.   Also the sad loss of my parents whom I still miss.

Nothing has prepared me for this type of historical criticism.  It keeps my mind busy when worries shadow my mind and heart.

Welcome back Jane.  I thought you would be busy just getting home.  I am off to the dentist this morning and Daniel is coming to visit this afternoon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dentists shouldn't make you feel scared.

They like to help.

Plus they have lots of painkillers.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Yes I know Rick. It is not the pain so much as it is the fear of choking. I have no choice!

I can eat cake and drink boast!

love mom

Anonymous said...

Take Adavan for the dentist the same as for flying. And that reminds me I still need to go to the dentist. Sandra

Anonymous said...

I think that lawyers are much scarier than dentists and ambiguous scriptures.

Panteli

Anonymous said...

l love my son-in-law but not what he does to me-
cause he's a dentist. Jane.

Anonymous said...

I hate dentists and cant afford them.Ken