Monday, April 26, 2010

GOOD FRUIT


Everyday I have opportunities to produce the fruit of the spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. And some days I find it easy and some days impossible. This may come with a homeless man knocking on the door asking for bottles or when a friend drops by needing some one to listen and not give advice. The fruit of the spirit is woven into our daily experiences of life; and as I stop and pay attention to my actions that I want to be compassionate, I know who I really am hopefully becoming.

Christians may talk about sin and Buddhists talk about needing to let go of desire. Is this the same thing? One of the hardest things to do in life is to allow some space for God to live within us and through us. The song says we are the branches and He is the vine and He is our beloved and we are His. On our journey God will reveal to us what we need to know, when we need it.

Faith and belief are not mentioned in this list because these qualities flow through believer and non-believer in this dance of life. Faith is important to me because I then believe in the awesome grace that will always be a mystery to me.

No I did not put the pictures on right but I tried and everything got messed up.

So I am writing for myself to help me remember things and to untangle some of the thoughts in my head. I thought I would never be able to write on a computer because I enjoy writing in a notebook. I live such a ordinary life on my small little street with the world rushing by just a few blocks away. Along the way in my life I have collected experiences and find by writing I am drawn deeper and deeper into knowing who I really am. But the amazing thing is that I find we are all in the same space with our good days and not so good days; and we meet unexpectedly at times.

I read this morning about determination and although I sit here alone I am not alone "but the whole universe is behind you and with you--the birds, the trees, the sky, the moon, the clouds and the spirit of all creation." We all have been made out of the dust of the earth and God has breathed His life into us. He has trusted us to love one another and to share the fruits of our labour and our experiences.

This is a quote from an old book "The Bones of Writing."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of remembering, I thought of something last night I had to tell you, and I should have written it down as now I forgot. Well, if the sin of the christians was just inapropriate desires (and who is to say what is inapropriat?) then it is sort of the same as budism, but chritianity has broadened their spectrum, though maybe not as bad as the islamics, to include lots of non evil things.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

l find that Buddhism and Christianity are complimentary. l think that Buddhism concerns itself more with inner peace and acceptance of what is.Whereas Christianity is more concerned with doing and active change. l see both of these things expressed in you and Larry. Love Jane.

Anonymous said...

one of my most valued good fruits of our labour I am so happy to share with others is our children !
My friend and I were just talking today about this how our children are our fruit and the result of a life lived well is by our example of our fruit . So much rich beautiful fruit . I look at some children so disturbed and upset messed up and the effort it takes as a parent to put in and be responsible especially owning and being responsible for our mistakes in our parenting .
hindu's beleive in sin , I see sin is just as a wrong choice , behaviours which are not good for us , many religions , cultures have this conecpt , morals etc. sin is that which blocks us from Creator & spirit keeping us stuck in being who we are created to be as a whole person . The concept is not just a christian one .Beth have you read Thomas Merton books ? He loved buddist teachings , many christians practice buddism too .
I wrote on your altar post and please excuse all the numer 7's as they are supposed to be the & sign ;-) just my keyboard is old and I always end up with 7 in those spaces ;-)
Pascal wants his rice pudding I best go .
I love connecting with you .
I hope you will post about books you like too ( ok I'm a book junky )