Wednesday, April 14, 2010

SILENCE


No phone calls, no mail, no friendly hello's with neighbors that was yesterday. We did have a thoroughly enjoyable visit with Madie as we talked a lot about the past. She is doing well and it is hard to believe she is 94. We had to laugh at times we all forgot names and places. She was amazed at how many grandchildren we have. 19!

I would be happy if I could be that healthy at 94. She still likes to bake and she is an excellent baker. I do not really like handling ordinary flour and with gluten-free you never know just how it will turn out. A minute to long in the oven and it comes out so dry. Right now with my friend Deborah who sends me home with goodie bags and things I can now buy I can avoid baking. Dad is happy doing the dishes as long as there are not a lot of them.

I am reading today about our two selves in "Healing and The Jewish Imagination" There is a contrast between the two selves within us all; the one that pursues mastery and control of the world and the other self in search of covenant, love and commitment. It would seem to me that when one overpowers the other the world becomes "sick" and yet both are needed and are gifts of our Creator. We will never discover the mystery of the divine without letting go of reason and control. Questions are good but demanding answers has never worked since the time of Job written generations ago. An ancient book in the Bible about an old man yet one that we can all identify with, unless you have had a perfect life and have never cared about the suffering of others.

"Science is meant to help us know and repair God's world." Science can not give us a complete picture so we have turned to philosophy to help us understand why we act like we do and why are we here? Even Judaism is struggling with tradition versus modern thought. This book is challenging how well we know ourselves and how willing we are to admit our weaknesses in certain areas. "The self that knows that he or she is sick is the one that can be healed." Which brings us back to responsibility.

Today I will be at the meeting of the United Church Women and tonight we have our Mennonite Home group. Great people in both.

As I post this blog a note comes up about simple cookie recipes. lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you are getting such a variety of religious view points mom. Your phone did not ring all day yesterday? Heck, if it wasnt for Randy calling to check in with me I think I could go weeks with out my phone ringing.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

I do ring once in awhile but do not like to ring if you are watching a D.V.D. or a favorite program.

It was also quite with no Judge Judy and dad went to bed at 7 which worried me a bit. I am tired at that time but that is unusual for him and now he is up this morning at 7:25 which is also unusual.
love mom