Friday, April 2, 2010

WHY GOOD FRIDAY?


Why did Jesus chose fishermen?


Why did I like the "Wimpy Kid Movie" I saw with dad and Sandra and Carol? I like happy endings. I know the story continues and no one lives happy for ever after but I like to have happy moments.

WHY?
Why do good people so often die young?
Why do old people live on after they are ready to die or so they say?
Why were not all the crippled and blind following Jesus not healed?
Why did Jesus suffer and die on the cross when so many more needed to be healed physically and spiritually?

WHO DO WE BLAME?
According to the gospels Jesus knew what Judas had to do and could have stopped him.
Jesus also knew that the hatred and jealousy and fear of both those in politics and in religious authority was creating hard hearts who believed that death was the only answer to silence this man. Jesus also wrestled with the question as he agonized in prayer. We are told that evil entered the soul of Judas to allow him to carry out his part; as a betrayer. Jesus is captured and faces his accusers in courts both political and religious. There needs to be an appearance of justice.

We may even question the historical reality of these narratives that live on in the telling of the gospel stories, so powerful, so deeply moving, so passionate and rich with significance.

I did not attend church last night but saw the story played out on T.V.. So real and so full of emotion that I could not sleep. Heavy on my heart is the abuse the church has committed against the children. We do not understand why their is this sexual urge to prey on the innocent, but even more difficult is why it was covered up and in many cases denied and covered up. Old wounds never really heal as we hear many coming forward to share their shameful past.

Many years ago dad and I walked with a small group carrying the cross across No. 10 Highway to join with other Churches in a Good Friday service. This day processions will be carried out in Jerusalem on the Dela Rosa and in other countries. [Colebrook Church is now looking at joining to have regularly services with other churches as we grow smaller in number.]

Why Good Friday? Why do we have to learn from the past before the future opens to us the opportunity of new life! Facing the truth is like a sharper edged sword that cuts deep into the soul and makes it bleed. Today I will walk the journey with Jesus as I read the gospels again. I know that I will see the spirit in the readings with deeper understanding but knowing questions often do not get answered.


Why?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many questions!

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

I did not even have time to do my spell check, before you answered.
I have lots more questions.
love mom

Anonymous said...

The title of our study material is "Living the Questions"perhaps this is what we are about. Living the questions with an attitude of love and compassion accepting and giving forgiveness under the banner of expensive grace. Jane.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Thanks Jane